Monday, January 14, 2008

Lesson 1. An Illustration of Prayer

Hi people, it's been a long while and I guess I've been guilty of not updating the blog, i would love to give a million excuses, but they'll only just be that - excuses, there really shouldn't be any excuse as to why I haven't been writing for y'all, but I guess you will forgive me. Thanks.
Enjoy and happy reading........

Prayer : How to -

A man had two sons, one was 16 yrs old and the other was 12yrs. The man was away on a job in a far away country and was in communication with them via telephone. A few days to his return home, the father asked his 2 sons what they would like him to get for them. The following conversation was what took place
Father : Hi kids, what do you want me to get for you guys.
Son 1: Hey Dad, I would really love to have a chess set, with wooden pieces. (Now this son knew how much his dad loved to play chess, and felt that his dad would like him to learn to play someday so that they could play together in the future until they were old and grey)
Father : Wow! That’s great son, I’d go find it immediately, I didn’t know you were interested in chess, I’m sure we’ll have such a great time playing together.
Son 2: Dad, I would like to have a gun ……
Father : Sure son, I’ll get you a toy pistol if you like, but aren’t you a bit too old for that? ….
Son 2 : No dad, I don’t want a toy, I want a real gun with real bullets!
Father : Stunned silence!! Thinking to himself, he can’t be serious, no way! He must be pulling my legs, I’m sure he meant a toy gun, like a water pistol or something! Confused and scratching his head at this time….Okay now son, you know you can’t have a real gun, because you are too young to handle such a dangerous weapon, and it’s not a good thing to desire because guns are used for destruction, so maybe when you grow up and join the army, we could discuss about you having one, but until then, I can’t grant your request.
Son 2 : Throwing a tantrum.. Ahhhh no, no no , all I want is a gun!! All I want is a gun dad, it’s a gun or nothing, I don’t want anything else.
Father : son, you know I love you and I don’t want to hurt you, but what you are asking for is not a good thing, and even if I wanted to grant you this, I couldn’t because you are too young to understand how it works and how to use it safely.
Son 2 : I thought you said I should ask you for anything, you said you’ll give me everything I ask for, now I’m asking for this
Father: I’m sorry son, but I can’t give you this, cos i know it’s not good for you, trust me on this, you don’t know what you are asking for. What else would you like me to get for you?
Son 2 : No dad, I don’t want anything else .

The Lesson.
God will give us what we ask for - if and only if we ask in accordance to his will

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. - Matthew 7:7

"......Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure." James 4:2-3

What is that thing that you want? what lurks deep in your heart? what is the desire burning in you? if you want anything, there are steps to take to get it.

1. Determine what it is you want from God. Be very specific. (Let's use this as an illustration: A woman has been married for sometime and she wants a child, the doctors say there's no hope, that she's has issues with her fertility bla bla bla.....)

2. Find out if it is talked about in the bible -God's Word. You really have no business asking for what isn't in God's will, the answer would be a resounding NO! For the Illustration of the woman above, she will have to look for the following passages and others;
"You must serve only the Lord your God. If you do, I will bless you with food and water, and I will protect you from illness. There will be no miscarriages or infertility in your land, and I will give you long, full lives." Exo 23:25-26

“The Lord will give you prosperity in the land he swore to your ancestors to give you, blessing you with many children, numerous livestock, and abundant crops." Deut 28:11

"He will love you and bless you, and he will give you many children. He will give fertility to your land and your animals." Deut 7:13)

3. Ask God for what you want after you have determined that it is indeed talked about in the bible and God has promised to give to you. ("......I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name. You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy." John 16:23-24)

4. Believe that God has heard and answered your prayer and you will recieve what you have asked for. ("I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours." Mark 11:24

"But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted!" John 15:7)

Have a lovely day people and May God grant you the desires of your heart. Amen!

6 Comments:

At January 14, 2008 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Rita said...

Insightful!

John, I am more than excited with what I have learnt today. I am even expectant for lesson 2. This is really detailed and I like the way you brought selected scriptures to back up a prayer request. Please keep up the good work. May God continue to use you to teach His people and bring more light to the world.

God bless you.

 
At January 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chai!

 
At January 23, 2008 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Jaja said...

Very devotional

 
At March 20, 2008 at 3:56 PM , Blogger princesa said...

You have a nice blog here. I'll be back for more inspirational words.

 
At April 11, 2008 at 6:01 PM , Blogger The Enigma said...

Nice one! First time here, Shld be back again.

 
At April 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Kemmie said...

Finally gathered up the courage (and time) to come here. Glad I did. You are going places!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home